Hiking in Maranaj Park, North AlbaniaGo Back
Follow a Shepherds Trail to the Summit
What To Expect
Fancy a hike on the majestic Albanian Alps? Did you know that they can be accessed from just outside of Shkodër?
If the answer is yes, then we have the perfect all-day alpine adventure for you: Mount Maranaj, the gateway to the Albanian Alps.
The Alps rise abruptly from Shkodër to dominate the city's eastern and north skyline; a massive wall of rock and earth towering into the heavens. The most prominent of the peaks near the city is Maranaj, from whose 1574 meter summit can be viewed the entirety of the city, Lake Shkodër, Lake Vau Dejës, and the higher mountains to the north. For those looking to experience the wilds of the Albanian backcountry and add alpine adventure to their Shkodër visit, the challenging but rewarding hike up Maranaj is not to be missed.
ItineraryThe hike from the trailhead to the summit is roughly 11 kilometers in length and gain almost 1500 meters in elevation. (For a round-trip distance of 22 kilometers) Therefore, given the length and difficulty of the hike, it is important to begin as early as possible in the morning if one plans to return to Shkodër the same evening. (Though bivouacking on the mountain is a possibility, weather permitting).
- Departure from the center of Shkoder at 7am.i
- The trailhead lies just outside near the village of Vorfë and the trail follows a fire-road for a few kilometers before continuing as a shepherd’s foot path.
- The trail then ascends through a number of beautiful meadows and a chestnut grove until, at 1200 meters, it ends at a small shepherd’s lodge.
- The trek from the shepherds lodge to the summit requires a short rock scramble.
- The return to Vorfë is simply a backtrack along the same trail.
What To Bring
- Hiking Shoes
- Food & water
As a social enterprise we value fairness and transparency. Here is exactly what your money pays for:
|Local Salaries||3 €|
|Taxes + Costs||2 €|
Minimum 2 people.